[TOS] Notes: learning about technology transfer and open source

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Apr 7 08:44:41 UTC 2009

Rob Cameron <cameron at cs.sfu.ca> wrote: [...]
> By starting out with the statement that "software patents are
> inconsistent with open source/free software," it immediately
> creates barriers.
>
> Imagine what you would think if the TT organization made the
> statement that "open source software is fundamentally inconsistent
> with successful business models."   In fact, this is a view of many
> TT types.   It makes apparent sense in a superficial way, but it
> is wrong.  We must fight it.
>
> To create constructive dialogue with TT offices, both positions
> must be dropped.

Is that a principle of TT organisations?  If so, then replacing such
TT organisations should be the emphasis.  It's simply not realistic to
expect both sides to abandon all their principles.

I find it difficult to comment helpfully on patent-based TT.  The
whole concept of patenting (which is meant for inventions) software
(which is the expression of innate relationships, so not invented) is
abhorrent to me. I hope that the EU sorts itself out and
comprehensively blocks the patent enclosure attempts in the near
future.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)