[TOS] Peer-reviewed Journal

David Humphrey David.Humphrey at senecac.on.ca
Wed Apr 8 13:56:18 UTC 2009

Janardhan Iyengar wrote:
> I missed the conference today :-(  (I had to go get son's (new) passport for summer travels)
>
>> Still speaking without wanting to commit anyone to anything, but being
>> quite interested to learn how to do this better, what if we start down
>> the road of looking at your research in the context of Mozilla and
>> Apache, and do some work in a wiki page + irc.  I think that we'll learn
>> together, and in the open, about how to do this, what is hard, etc.
>
> I am very interested in general; but I'm not the Mozilla/Apache project will work out for *me*. *I* am unlikely to be actively involved in this, since the project now is in another's territory.
>
> Our project is described in WWW '06, at http://www.cis.udel.edu/~nataraja/research.html (patches to Apache/Firefox are available there). Without getting into the details, the integration of this stuff into Mozilla is now being done by graduate student(s) at UDelaware, and its implementation has been off my radar for a bit.
>
> Having said that, I don't think this stuff is in Mozilla yet. While I don't know what the current status of the implementation is, I can bring the others who are working on this into the loop. So, even if *I* don't get into it actively, I can at least connect you and others.
>
> What do you think? I can write to them (with you in the loop).
>
> - jana

I think it might be useful for us to go a bit further, even if only to
learn a more about the process of linking all these pieces together.  My
goal, more than seeing this specific piece of research implemented, is
that we would all get better at understanding what's involved.

Respecting what Ross said about asynchronous communication, why don't we:

* Work together to document (from a high level) what would be involved
in doing this, from the stand point of your work, Mozilla, and Apache.
I'll do the Mozilla piece, if you (and this grad student) and perhaps
Ross would do the others.

* Write about our work on a page in the TOS wiki, and use this list for
communication that would be general useful to the group as a whole:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Ideas_on_Moving_Research_to_Implementation

* See where this leads us.  Perhaps we'll find that it would make sense
for some students to help work on the implementations.  I'm also
interested to see where we'll have trouble, especially in figuring out
who should do what, who has time for what, etc.  I think these are
issues that will be present in any such activity.

Dave