[TOS] Using FLOSS Manuals for textbook authoring

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 14:34:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Ross Gardler wrote:

> 2009/8/23 adam hyde <adam at flossmanuals.net>:
>> how does   dual license sound? (ugh..i hate these license thingys)...
>
> I can't speak for the community as a whole, so my comments are only my
> own. Since we already discussed and agreed on a CC-BY-SA licence I'd
> much rather stick to that. I don't see any need to dual licence. I
> could be persuaded if we were talking about a licence that was
> appropriate for text, or if there were a need to use some other
> licence. But dual licencing under the GPL makes no sense to me at all
> - it will only serve to confuse things in my opinion.
>
> What do others think?
>
>> as for the copyright - yes it can (and will) be reassigned...dont worry,
>> FM is not out to own everyones copyright, and nor am I. The default is
>> that whoever creates a chapter gets the copyright. if u like i can make
>> all copyright for the manual to the 'TOS Authors' or some
>> such...whatever you like, just let me know
>
> We still need to figure out the contributor agreements here, which
> will allow us to decide who is to hold copyright on the collated
> materials. It's fine to leave it as it is right now. The key thing is
> that we can change it when we know what we want to change it to.
>
> I'd like to get this stuff sorted out so that we can actually start
> contributing content.

Whoops.  This is an oversight on my part.  I'd failed to realize that
FLOSS Manuals requires a particular license.

We have agreed that this work will be licensed CC-BY-SA.  This must be
true.

It doesn't seem like this is incompatible with GPL... but since CC-BY-SA
is the CC licensed designed to most closely mimic the GPL... would it be
possible to change the policy of FLOSS Manuals to make CC-BY-SA an
acceptable license?

I'd really rather not try to dual-license this work.  2x the licenses
means way more than 2x the legal burden.

--g

--
Computer Science professors should be teaching open source.
Help make it happen.   Visit http://teachingopensource.org.