[TOS] Using FLOSS Manuals for textbook authoring

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 23:37:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 03:25:16PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> The usual argument for dual-licensing textbooks and developer manuals
> under the GPL is that then any program code copied or adapted from
> pseudo-code is obviously usable in GPL'd programs.  It's not very
> clear what CC-BY-SA means for programs IIRC - but given the poor
> clarity of most CC localisations in general, that might not be the
> most serious of problems.

If we wanted to be sure code/pseudo-code was usable, could it be
separately licensed from the rest of the work?

Similarly, it might be nice to actually use real code snippets as
examples.  For example, in the chapter on Documentation, talking about
the value of writing good comments in code might benefit from a few
stellar (and horrible) real world examples.

Could we potentially use the GPL'd code in the combined work with the
CC BY SA'd content?

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41