[TOS] Teaching the concept of Free Software

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at openhatch.org
Mon Dec 7 23:05:07 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Karsten Wade's message of Wed Dec 02 05:32:42 +0000 2009:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:37:46PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
>
> > I was pointing out to the students that the only two organizations that
> > will take at heart the difficult challenge of eliminating "Software Patents"
> > are: the FSF and the EFF
>
> To widen that list a bit, I would definitely include the many other
> groups working against software patents, from Red Hat to the SFLC and
> the FFII.  I'm confident those organizations take the challenge to
> heart, too. ;-)

You might want to take a look at Students for Free Culture, a group with which
I was involved as a student (and am still peripherally involved).

>From the http://freeculture.org/ website:

"Students for Free Culture is an international chapter-based student organization
that promotes the public interest in intellectual property and information &
communications technology policy."

You might be interested in checking out their chapters list, decorated with a map:

http://freeculture.org/chapters/

They're a bottom-up chapter-based organization, so the global organization doesn't
take a whole lot of direct stands. But local chapters do a lot of activism.

http://freeculture.org/contact/ explains the best way to get in touch is to just
email the discuss@ email list.

-- Asheesh.

--
"... an experienced, industrious, ambitious, and often quite often
picturesque liar."