[TOS] contributors' agreements

Ross Gardler ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 9 16:30:48 UTC 2009

2009/12/9 Frank Hecker <hecker at hecker.org>:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Greg Wilson <gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> Regardless of whether the FLOSS organization requires a contributor's
>> agreement, is it wise to get one so that the student's university doesn't
>> think they have any rights to what the students has done?
>
> My personal opinions (not an official Mozilla position):
>
> As Ross wrote, it's ultimately a risk management issue, and part of
> that means trading off less risk vs. more hassle, and vice versa.

Without CLAs the student themselves are exposed as well as the
receiving organisation. It's not just about risk to the project, but
also to valuable volunteers. I do agree there is logic in the less
hassle for more code argument. But those who require CLAs, such as the
ASF, are interested in protecting the contributor as much as the
projects.

It's still a risk management issue Vs hassle issue, but the
consideration of that risk should not only look out for the project,
IMHO.

Ross

Ross