[TOS] Deadlines for hosting a POSSE this summer

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Dec 23 07:33:49 UTC 2009

I haven't heard any objections to these deadlines since my original
message last week
(http://teachingopensource.org/pipermail/tos/2009-December/000760.html),
so I'm taking silence as consent, and:

If you want to run a POSSE between...

May 15 - Jun 01: the deadline is Feb 15, 2010.
Jun 02 - Sep 01: the deadline is March 1, 2010.
Sep 02 - Dec 01: the deadline is June 1, 2010.
After Dec 02: We'll worry about this later, but the deadline won't be
before August.

If you want to run a POSSE before May 15, that's a special case and we
need to know ASAP - email this list *right now* to let us know that's
what you'd like to do, and we'll work together to figure out feasibility.

In this context, "the deadline" is for "we know we're going to run a
POSSE" status, which means you should:

1. have a firm date, time, location, and topic area of focus. (We can
help you figure this out.)

2. have worked with Red Hat[0] to figure out logistics, instructors,
publicity, and funding, and gotten a thumbs-up. In general, RH will
handle instructors/curriculum, hosts handle logistics/facilities, both
of us split the marketing, and participants pay their own expenses, but
we'll work out the details case-by-case together (and log those
conversations so future POSSE planners can see how they get figured out).

3. have opened applications to participants. (We'll help you figure out
what questions you want to ask.)

To make sure we have enough time to work everything out before the
deadline, I'd strongly recommend emailing this list with your initial
"we're thinking of a POSSE" query (see
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE#Organize_your_own_POSSE)
at least 2 weeks in advance of the deadline - ideally a month before.

So far we have two POSSEs coming down the pipeline, both in California,
with Alolita Sharma and the OSI. I know there are other places planning
POSSEs, and other people and schools who are interested - so let's get
those conversations on this list so we can get the planning done in time.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Ideas? Feedback? TL;DR? Say so!

--Mel

[0] ...meaning me right now, since my team (which includes Max, Greg,
and Karsten) has been wrangling POSSEs into existence thus far. One of
my big goals for POSSE this summer is to make it so that I don't have to
be a bottleneck for this - and we'll get there, but right now, I'm going
to take responsibility for making sure we're all in sync on what a POSSE
is and how it runs. Once we've gotten some POSSEs run by other people,
we'll revisit this procedure and hopefully make me more obsolete. ;)