No subject

Tue Mar 10 01:08:02 UTC 2009

taking on the task of hosting a research journal highlighting
open source code contributions as a COSTAR activity.
A separate SFU project (pkp.sfu.ca) could be quite helpful in
providing support for such a journal as it has for OSBR.

But a credible journal that could actually make a difference
requires a serious long-term commitment.   The reputation
of a journal is something that is established over time.
If the journal is going to be effective in encouraging research
faculty to contribute to open source it must have a viable
plan for a long-term presence.

This also  requires serious funding.   It is not something that
can be tackled on a short-term or even medium-term
voluntary basis.

So, even though I have some interest in the topic, and have
previously mentioned an interest in hosting such an activity
under COSTAR, I am now feeling more cautious.    Although I retain
an interest and could certainly see myself participating in a viable
project, it might be best to put our energies into other areas
until we reach a level of critical mass that could sustain publication
of a credible research journal.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 18:26 -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
>> This week is a bit hectic (an XO deployment I'm coordinating tech for is
>> supposed to go live in 48 hours), but on Thursday I'll take a first
>> sprint through compiling 5 years of scattered notes on this onto the TOS
>> wiki. I made a placeholder here with some questions to get us started in
>> the meantime. ;)
>> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/OSS_education_papers_in_scholarly_journals
>>
>> I also put some placeholders for other projects I've seen mentioned on
>> this list on http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Projects, which is
>> linked to from the TOS main page.
>
> Fantastic, Mel! I've put these on the menu and also created a "Projects"
> category to make them easier to find.
>
> -Chris

Robert D. Cameron, Ph.D.
Professor of Computing Science