[TOS] Added Curriculum

pamela fox pamela.fox at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:21:13 UTC 2009

Hey there-

Saw this from Leslie's twitter stream, cool idea.

I added two links in the course content page - a presentation about
Open Source Development Best Practices, and a presentation just about
SVN.

Some feedback:
- The links in the help
(http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/About_the_TeachingOpenSource_Wiki)
for wikimarkup went to empty pages, so I ended up Google'ing for
wikimarkup help.
- It's not obvious the difference between "Presentations" and "Course
Content". I think what you actually mean is "Stuff thats useful if
you're evangelizing teaching OS" versus "Material for teaching OS".
It's sometimes better to distinguish by audience instead of type. I
put two presos under Course Content, as that was my guess as to the
difference.
- Should it be made clear which of the content is CC-licensed? My
colleagues and I made an open web programming curriculum, and we've
put CC license footers on every page so that people feel comfortable
re-using stuff.
- A way of getting more material would be to search slideshare for
"open source", contact the authors, and see if they'd like to add
anything.

Some questions:
- What sort of course content are we looking for? More about meta
stuff like bug tracking, or about using open-source stuff like Python?
- How will professors find this content? I'm curious about how
professors find content generally (since I've also created that web
programming content) - is there a standard directory?

- pamela