[TOS] Added Curriculum

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Fri Mar 6 14:17:55 UTC 2009

Hi Pamela,

> - The links in the help
> (http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/About_the_TeachingOpenSource_Wiki)
> for wikimarkup went to empty pages, so I ended up Google'ing for
> wikimarkup help.

Fixed, thanks!

> - It's not obvious the difference between "Presentations" and "Course
> Content". I think what you actually mean is "Stuff thats useful if
> you're evangelizing teaching OS" versus "Material for teaching OS".
> It's sometimes better to distinguish by audience instead of type. I
> put two presos under Course Content, as that was my guess as to the
> difference.

I've renamed "Presentations" to "Presentations about Teaching Open
Source" and added some introductory text at the top of that page. If
these aren't clear, please do the wiki thing and rearrange the content
in a way that makes more sense (or propose a rearrangement for
discussion here).

> - Should it be made clear which of the content is CC-licensed? My
> colleagues and I made an open web programming curriculum, and we've
> put CC license footers on every page so that people feel comfortable
> re-using stuff.

A copyright notice in the footer would be a great idea, if I can figure
out where in the skin system the footers are controlled! Copyright
policy is contained on the page [[Teaching Open Source:Copyrights]],
linked to from the Privacy Policy and the footer of every Edit page.

By the way, I selected CC-BY-SA and OPL as dual licenses to start, and
also written a simple procedure for adding additional licenses in the
future should the need arise (e.g., a need to bump the CC license
version number).

> - A way of getting more material would be to search slideshare for
> "open source", contact the authors, and see if they'd like to add
> anything.

/me looks around the room for volunteers :-)

> Some questions:
> - What sort of course content are we looking for? More about meta
> stuff like bug tracking, or about using open-source stuff like Python?

We can go in any direction we'd like. To be honest, though, I'd like to
see the focus be community-involved Open Source development -- working
*within* a community/project rather than working from scratch or merely
*using* O/S tools.

> - How will professors find this content? I'm curious about how
> professors find content generally (since I've also created that web
> programming content) - is there a standard directory?

Well, hopefully we'll build up the links and tos.o will be their starting point :-)

-Chris