[TOS] Peer-Reviewed Open Source Journal

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Mar 11 05:36:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:

> If such a journal was established, I strongly feel that part of the
> review process should be an evaluation of the researcher's participation
> in and contribution back to the community. I've heard some devs say that
> they're going to scream and/or throw heavy virtual objects at the next
> academic that pops onto their project's list with yet another research
> survey; I think we need work hard to foster a culture of participation
> and collaboration between researchers and open source communities,
> because each can benefit from the other.

I've managed to get the University of Hawaii's College of Education's
faculty and future teachers to participate in the installation of a
25-station gnu/linux edutainment learning center at one of our
elementary schools.  I am not a developer of software, but I am of
communities, and projects like this have been easier for me to attain
traction in our Universities, Colleges, and K12 schools.  One
Professor, on a tenure track, spends time with me when I present
FOSS-based solutions to various groups, and he appears to be credited
in some way.  I've asked him for details.

> Is the establishment of a journal worthwhile? Any takers?

I think that this is the very thing that creates the research fodder
required to get the funding mechanisms aware of the opportunities
worth funding.

> -Chris

--scott