[TOS] Peer-Reviewed Open Source Journal

Ralph Morelli ram at cs.trincoll.edu
Wed Mar 11 12:25:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

Since this is my first posting here, let me introduce myself.  I'm a
faculty member in computer science at Trinity College in Hartford,
CT.  I am one of the PIs of an NSF-funded project aimed at
revitalizing undergraduate computing education by getting students
engaged in building FOSS that serves the community.  Our project, the
HFOSS project (http://www.hfoss.org), recently organized a 1-day
symposium on "Integrating FOSS into the Undergraduate Computing
Curriculum"  at SIGCSE,  where I met Greg deKoenigsberg, Frank Hecker,
and Armen Zambrano Gasparnian (and maybe others who are on this
list).   Here's a link to the Symposium's media page (http://www.hfoss.org/symposium09/?page_id=133
).

At the meeting, one of the main obstacles we identified toward
integrating FOSS into higher ed was that tenure and promotion
committees do not recognize contributions to FOSS as an important part
of a faculty member's tenure case.  They really only care about peer-
reviewed publications and, frankly,  I don't see that ever changing.
It's a strongly entrenched part of the academic culture.  So,  I think
the existence of peer-reviewed conferences and peer-reviewed journals
would go a long way toward  addressing this obstacle and I would be
willing to work with others on this.  It's not clear to me whether
starting a new conference and/or journal would be better than trying
to integrate academic FOSS tracks at already well established
conferences.  Or maybe both strategies would make sense. This is
something that needs to be sorted out.

Perhaps there should be a session on this topic at the October 29th
TOS summit.  If so, I'd be willing to participate. I'm CCing this
Carlos Jensen and Tim Budd at Oregon State University because I know
they are also interested in this issue and I'm not sure whether they
are members of this list yet.

Cheers,
-- ralph