[TOS] Greetings, and a modest proposal.

Carlos Jensen cjensen at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Wed Mar 11 21:46:17 UTC 2009

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
<snip>

>> I would like guidelines, template, etc for a FOSS project to present
>> itself to the academic community for use in curriculum.
>
> Leslie!  Sound off!  :)
>
> It seems to me like any FOSS project that elects to participate in
> Google Summer of Code is already doing a substantial amount of the
> necessary work: articulating bite-sized chunks of work that can be
> handled by students.  I'd love to be able to generalize this work, and
> if TOS can be a large part of that effort, so much the better.
>
> What else could we do?  What would be the useful elements in such a
> template?

I think there is an opportunity here to get FOSS projects talking to
academics simply by compiling a list of academic-friendly projects, who
the contact persons are, what kind of project it is, maybe minimum
qualifications/skills sought, and a list of project ideas. Kind of
inspired by the ROSE site ncsu keeps (http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/rose/)

We could do something fancier, but a simple wiki like that might be a
good start. Maybe something similar for academics looking for project
ideas (prof looking fro project ideas for usability class etc.) might be
good too...