[TOS] Some thoughts about " free " teaching Open Source on OpenOffice.org side

Timothy A. Budd budd at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Wed Mar 11 22:17:26 UTC 2009

Excellent points eric. If I understand you correctly, part of what you
are saying is that we can get students to participate when we have
some sort of control over them, such as a class grade - but once they
leave the class they disappear from the project. I can easily see that
the same would be true of my own students. We try as best we can to
*inspire* our students with an appreciation of FOSS for its own sake,
and hopefully sometimes we even succeed. But I'm certain we don't
succeed with all students, and so this problem you identify seems to
be a natural consequence. Or is it? Do others have any good ideas how
to get around this problem?
--tim

(Or did I misunderstand the point you were making? confusing it for a
point I was thinking about anyway....)

Timothy Budd, budd at eecs.oregonstate.edu, http://www.eecs.oregonstate.edu/~budd