[TOS] Greetings, and a modest proposal.

Andrew Ross aross at fosslc.org
Thu Mar 12 03:36:10 UTC 2009

Hi Greg, All

I'll weigh in with my support on behalf of FOSSLC (http://fosslc.org).

Goal #1 - looks like a great project. Count me in personally.

Goal #2 - I'd like to respectfully plug the work of Dru Lavigne and Dr. Tony
Bailetti at http://osbr.ca. They have been pioneers towards building an open
source journal. I could easily see this evolving into what we've talked
about on this list. If there's a way we can influence more articles on open
source in journals like ACM and MIS Quarterly, then that's a worthy target.

In terms of goal #0, this is a great goal - and a central point is needed.
FOSSLC was created with similar thoughts of enabling people to come
together. Perhaps a little history is appropriate so I can build to a
hopefully useful suggestion.

Scratching an itch, I decided to set off with osbootcamp. This was best
described as "a web site & a dream" approach. As soon as it hit some
success, there were interesting tug-of-wars between the supporters with
diverging interests. Indications were clear that more governance was needed.
FOSSLC was born early this year to satisfy some education needs immediately
and plan to address more in time. We felt a peer reviewed journal was out of
reach until there's critical mass to tackle it.

We put a lot of thought behind the governance model, sponsorship structure,
and the IT infrastructure for FOSSLC. No doubt there's still more testing
and tuning to go as we trial by fire. The goal was to balance the interests
of academia, companies, those seeking to share knowledge, and those seeking
to learn. Neutrality was crucial. As the best feedback, we're very grateful
to have growing support. As an outcome of that support, there's a
significant amount of great content available through http://fosslc.org
today. Our videos have reached over 12K people and growing.

Thus, as a bit of proposal feedback and perhaps an important requirement,
I'd like to suggest TOS.org have a clear legal structure, governance model,
and a few well defined ways to engage. This will save headaches in the
future.

We're happy to share content and collaborate as much as possible.

Andrew