[TOS] Fwd: Scope of TeachingOpenSource.org

Rob Cameron cameron at cs.sfu.ca
Fri Mar 13 16:44:02 UTC 2009

OK, I've added a level 4 to the taxonomy.     I haven't
said how thesis projects should be integrated into open
source, because I'm not really sure.   But I do want to
pursue this path.    Currently, I have a few students that
integrate into their work into my own open source
projects, but that is not quite the same as integrating
into codebases of larger open source communities.
But we are now looking at how we can pursue moving
our research more broadly into external open source
code bases and am working with one student to define
a project in this area (high-performance Unicode/XML/text
within Mozilla).

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 04:32 -0700, Rob Cameron wrote:
>> Chris. can you add a section on teaching graduate students?
>> Graduate students are often very sympathetic to open source
>> and have an extended period of time for work on a significant
>> thesis project.   They can also be the bridge between the research
>> programs of professors and the open source community.
>>
>> A second aspect is that graduate students can serve as
>> teaching assistants.  In my initial experience with an open
>> source project course for undergraduates this term (mostly
>> Mozilla code base), the work of my TA and another grad student
>> in my lab is a critical success factor.
>>
>> I think the issues for teaching grad students are also quite
>> different.   Grad students tend to have one-on-one instruction
>> from their senior supervisor.   This also brings up the question of
>> whether and how to have  open source community members
>> on graduate student supervisory committees.
>
> This definitely sounds in-scope to me. I haven't created any 'sections'
> on the wiki per se, but please jump in and create a wiki page outlining
> the issues in this space and which will serve as an index page into
> related material as this builds out. A Category tag would be the perfect
> touch.
>
> (Nike-style open source: Just Do It!)
>
> -Chris

Robert D. Cameron, Ph.D.