[TOS] Need volunteers - Re: Peer-Reviewed Open Source Journal

David Humphrey David.Humphrey at senecac.on.ca
Thu Mar 19 15:43:51 UTC 2009

>> However, nothing gets done if we only look at the reasons why it should
>> not be done.
>
> I believe the biggest obstacle is lack of faculty time, and it's a
> showstopper. Every instructor I know is already maxed out, so asking them
> to put in extra hours isn't viable.  (Yes, a few people will always be
> willing to put in heroic effort, but they will always be exceptions.)
> Integrating open source into the classroom therefore means doing less of
> something else.  We must identify the something (or somethings plural) and
> persuade instructors who will be directly or indirectly affected by the
> loss of what's subtracted that the tradeoff is worthwhile, or we will
> never become mainstream.

A few threads on this list all have the same answer, in my opinion:

If you don't approach this through established routes, it doesn't scale.

For us here at Seneca, that has meant dropping any work on student clubs
or other "extras" and instead moving the work directly into the
classroom and creating courses where students must work on open source
projects, and within open source communities.

For professors having to climb tenure mountain, I suspect that the same
is true, and we need to find ways to take what they are already doing
and find ways to have that integrate with open source.  What that means
exactly (papers, conf talks, class projects, research, etc.) is going to
look different in different places, and should be part of what we figure
out here.

But my strong belief is that it is only doable when we take what we are
doing and turn it into what we want to do.

Dave