[TOS] Bridging research and implementation in open source

Greg Hislop hislopg at drexel.edu
Fri Mar 20 17:59:08 UTC 2009

Dave -

I like your three groups model.  I think it's sensible and worth pursuing.
 Having said that, I think the motivation issues for the faculty still
remain.  While those of us that lean toward practical application might
think that your "research" group would want to advise on how to implement
their results, many researchers simply do not care about implementation.
And perhaps more importantly, any time spend advising for implementation
is likely to take away from further research, and not likely to advance
tenure and promotion cases.  Similarly, for the third group, the teachers,
time spent on open source may be hard to come by for a teaching faculty
member.  The root problem here is that most faculty are pretty stretched,
and the reward systems faculty work under are very narrowly defined.

I'd also note that your three group model reminds me of Boyer's 4
scholarships model.  (Boyer, Ernest L. “Scholarship Reconsidered:
Priorities of the Professoriate” The Carnegie Foundation for the
Advancement of Teaching.  1990.)  Your group 1, researchers, lines up with
Boyer's scholarship of discovery; Group 2 with Boyer's scholarship of
integration, and Group 3 is related to scholarship of teaching.  Your
group-spanning "connective tissue" people even relate somewhat to Boyer's
fourth scholarship, scholarship of integration.

The Boyer work was triggered to a large extent by the narrowing of the
reward system for higher education faculty that occurred starting around
1940.  The result is to define "scholarship" as being almost exclusively
"research" (scholarship of discovery).  Boyer argues for recognition of
his other 3 scholarships as being equally valid as scholarship that should
be rewarded.  The Boyer model is highly cited, but it hasn't had the major
impact on higher education that one might have hoped.  If this model had
been widely and sincerely adopted, we might not be having this discussion.

Cheers,

Greg Hislop