[TOS] Bridging research and implementation in open source

Rob Cameron cameron at cs.sfu.ca
Sun Mar 22 14:10:15 UTC 2009

Dave, thanks for starting this very interesting discussion.

Let me throw in two additional issues:  research funding
and technology transfer.    From my own perspective, these
are the two biggest barriers to increased participation in
open source.

Just as much as credit towards tenure and promotion are
very important to faculty members so is research funding.
In evaluating research funding requests, traditional funding
agencies often evaluate researchers based on their record of
publication in refereed journals and conferences.   So even if
tenure and promotion policies begin to give appropriate
recognition to open-source contributions, professors may be
unable to obtain the research funds necessary to support their
graduate students.   Without the graduate students, the ability
of professors to sustain an active program of research and
open-source software contribution may be severely limited.

The second issue is technology transfer.   It has been pointed
out that some professors are just not concerned about the
application of their work in industry.    That is true.   But for
those who do, we should also look at what university-industry
liaison offices promote.   Those offices generally focus on
technology development with non-disclosure agreements, patents
and exclusive licensing deals that can bring revenue into
the university.   The professor who wants to contribute their
advances through an open-source business model has little
support available from the university for doing so.

So on the topic of bridging research and implementation
in open source, I think these two factors need to be included
in the mix.   If we are trying to build a network of support
and "connective tissue",  I think that these issues of research
funding and technology-transfer support are two factors that
may have the biggest impact in attracting more contribution
and participation by research professors.

Rob