[TOS] Peer-reviewed Journal

Janardhan Iyengar janardhan.iyengar at fandm.edu
Fri Mar 27 22:19:21 UTC 2009

Hi David,

> I would argue that this is where we need some other people who could
> come along side you and help you get it done.  I hear Apache and I think
> about Ross.  You say Firefox and I'm quite interested.  Then we look
> around and see that there are profs who want to take students into a
> real software experience.  They don't know your work, perhaps don't know
> Apache/Firefox, but have students and a structure for having them do
> work (likely a course).

I see your idea, and I think it is a good one. I know it will help me and my students immensely to have someone from the project provide guidance on how to move ideas into the code right.

> Speaking without trying to commit you to something--would someone like
> you (research done, no time to implement in the wild), be willing to
> work with someone like me (knows how Mozilla works, can connect people
> to the right people/code), and a prof somewhere with students who are
> currently working on toy projects, and wants them to work on something
> real, maybe students at a few places?

In general, yes, I would. If I have projects that I have finished, and want to hand-off, then I will absolutely be happy for someone else to do implementation work that I am unable to get into.

> That's my vision, and it doesn't require any of us to be other than what
> we are, leveraging our skills and differences into a community approach.

I think this is a great vision, and I think we should discuss more about how to get a real framework for this sort of thing to happen.

> I honestly don't think this is as hard as people pretend.  Who wants to
> do this sort of thing with me?

Me? :-)

So, we should discuss this further. When can we schedule a meeting to discuss?:
- The next IRC chat?
- A separate subgroup chat sometime?

(I should go look at the irc logs, I know, but was this discussed already this week??)
- jana

--
Janardhan Iyengar
Assistant Professor, Computer Science