[TOS] Teaching materials, or textbook?

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed May 13 20:56:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Mentoring is a critical part of teaching open source. At the EduCamp a
> few of us discussed what could be taught from a textbook and what could
> not. My summary of this breakout can be found at
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Events/EduCamp@FOSDEM2009#Course_Content

Yep.  I think I was part of that session, in fact, so I certainly agree
with the conclusions.  ;)  Which is why events like Softhum and POSSE are
so important, so we can help form self-supporting communities of profs.
Next year, I'd love to be able to hand out textbooks at these events.

> Creating a remixable text is much harder than creating a fixed text
> intended to be read as a whole. Any learning experience is an
> incremental development of expertise, each learning objective building
> on previous ones. This in my opinion, makes it almost impossible to
> build a truly mix-n-match resource.

With, I think, the notable exception of well-structured case studies.

--g

--
Computer Science professors should be teaching open source.
Help make it happen.   Visit http://teachingopensource.org.