[TOS] Teaching materials, or textbook?

Ross Gardler ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 13 22:48:59 UTC 2009

2009/5/13 Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> I think this plan is quite practical.  Within six months or less, we
>>> could
>>> have a damned fine textbook.
>>
>> I think six months is *very* ambitious for a volunteer developed text
>> book, I think it will take that long to edit it (even if we pay an editor).
>> However, this comment is not intended to discourage the effort to drive
>> forwards. By doing so we increase the chances of delivering in six months
>> and proving me wrong - I like that ;-)
>
> YOU ARE WRONG, SIR, AND YOU SHALL PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE!  (Now where did I
> put that kidskin glove...)

I'll see you at dawn six months from the official start date. I'll
have either pistols or beer in hand.

>>> The question: who's willing to contribute?
>>
>> Myself, my team and our existing resources are all willing to get behind
>> this project (assuming a compatible licence strategy), this is in line with
>> a work package of our current funded work.
>
> Does this mean that you will need a conclusive answer to the license
> question before you will be willing to contribute resources?

All our existing published materials are (c) University of Oxford.
Most are licensed as CC-BY-SA, one or two are CC-ND-BY-SA (such as
interviews where we want to ensure the interviewee is not
misrepresentated). We use the UK CC licence for obvious reasons.

I would need very good reasons to change this, however, new materials
can, theoretically, be placed under a different licence, old materials
can, theoretically, be provided to this project under a different
licence.

> I think that, in any event, our first task is to produce an outline that
> achieves rough consensus, so I'll focus on that for now.

+1 and I'm happy to help here without worrying about the final
licence. It's content I care about not something that could "easily"
be reproduced.

> Our second task, I now believe, is to get in touch with O'Reilly to get an
> initial feeling of their interest.  I'll drop Andy Oram a line to pitch him
> the idea.

+1 (which also equates to a +1 from me for you being in the BD role)

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk