[TOS] Teaching materials, or textbook?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu May 14 01:25:01 UTC 2009

Hi Karsten,

 > FWIW, I agree with you, but we *may* have a hard time finding a
 > publisher who agrees with us.  I'd be happy to try, though, so sign me
 > up for that at least.

That is partly why I'm suggesting cnx.org as the publisher. It gives
us very cheap printing, unis can customise the book to their own
needs, and it encourages the use of CC licenses that don't have the NC
tag.

It is also an open source publishing business. All of the
publishing/editing etc infrastructure is FOSS. I know O'Reilly is
friendly towards the FOSS world, but cnx takes it one step further,
and implements true FOSS textbook publishing.

If a traditional publisher wants to take the resulting text and
publish it then that's great, but I don't see why we need it.

Cheers, Tridge