[TOS] Teaching materials, or textbook?

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu May 14 15:37:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> Hi Karsten,
>
> > FWIW, I agree with you, but we *may* have a hard time finding a
> > publisher who agrees with us.  I'd be happy to try, though, so sign me
> > up for that at least.
>
> That is partly why I'm suggesting cnx.org as the publisher. It gives
> us very cheap printing, unis can customise the book to their own
> needs, and it encourages the use of CC licenses that don't have the NC
> tag.
>
> It is also an open source publishing business. All of the
> publishing/editing etc infrastructure is FOSS. I know O'Reilly is
> friendly towards the FOSS world, but cnx takes it one step further,
> and implements true FOSS textbook publishing.
>
> If a traditional publisher wants to take the resulting text and
> publish it then that's great, but I don't see why we need it.

O'Reilly gives us credibility, and more credibility is better.

Of course, given some of the people we'll have working on this project,
we've already got a ton of cred, I think.  But more is better.

--g

--
Computer Science professors should be teaching open source.
Help make it happen.   Visit http://teachingopensource.org.