[TOS] Teaching materials, or textbook?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu May 14 22:30:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:25:01AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> If a traditional publisher wants to take the resulting text and
> publish it then that's great, but I don't see why we need it.

For the value of a traditional publishing house, it's about reach in
to the education market -- getting the book or at least word about it
in front of many educators.

I personally prefer if we choose CC without an NC clause.  That sets
the ground rules for a publisher.  If they want to make a stretch and
try something different that may gain them a big chunk of a new market
share, that's ideal.  If not, we know there is no compromise on the
licensing side, and we default to e.g. cnx.org.

Regardless, both the book and the story behind it are compelling
enough that I think a dose of healthy competition amongst some
publishers would be good.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41