[TOS] Teaching materials, or textbook?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Fri May 15 03:04:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 11:46 -0400, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 07:18 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > On the other hand I do like the cnx.org approach, Greg
> > should keep it in mind when discussing with O'Reilly.
>
> One of the problems here is that O'Reilly is going to want the book
> formatted in either DocBook or (heaven forbid!) Microsoft Word (with
> their fancy macros that make it very DocBook-like).

O'Reilly can also accept ODT (OOo) styled with a stylesheet they
provide. Afaik, they transform it to DocBook too.

> I spent quite a bit
> of time looking at CNX, and while I like the idea of it being all
> web-based, it doesn't give us an easy way to export to DocBook if we (or
> O'Reilly) decide that it's important.

I can't imagine the CNX-XML would be that hard to transform to DocBook
if we need to.

-Chris

"Can't we all talk DocBook? Can't we all just get along?" -- could have
sworn I heard that on the 60's station this afternoon.