[TOS] FSOSS session notes

Stormy Peters stormy.peters at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:19:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>wrote:

> Stormy,
>
> This is a great idea, and it is very much needed.
>
> We are currently running our "Open Source Software Practices" course
> http://public.kitware.com/OpenSourceSoftwarePractice/index.php/Main_Page
> at RPI (http://www.rpi.edu) and will appreciate to have a visiting speaker
> from the GNOME project.
>
> Cool!

> Should we simply ask our name/course  to the page:
>
>      http://live.gnome.org/GnomeEvents/Speakers   (?)

Yes, I also forwarded your mail to the GNOME marketing list to raise
visibility as this would be our first connection through this program.

> a) Case studies:  for example, we cover a couple of sessions
>     on "Governance and community management". We talk
>     about the projects that we manage (www.itk.org, www.vtk.org,
>     www.paraview.org), but it is very useful to have other cases.
>     We have used tele-participation in the past (if that helps)
>     via Skype.
>
> We can definitely find people to participate via Skype, but hopefully we
have someone in the area. I know we have a lot of presence in the Boston
area.

> b) Class projects:     students must work on a FOSS as part of
>     their grade. They tend to have difficulties identifying a
>    community that they can join, and managing to find something
>    interesting that can be executed in about 12 weeks (with about
>    2~4 hours of work a week).
>

>    Do you have a list of "low hanging fruit" in your bug tracker and
>    or feature request list, that students could work on as part of
>    their class project.

We have the GNOME Love program, http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove, and a
really strong group of mentors. Someone could come speak to you about that.

We'll make this happen!

Stormy