[TOS] FSOSS session notes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Oct 31 19:42:42 UTC 2009

Stormy,

This is a great idea, and it is very much needed.

We are currently running our "Open Source Software Practices" course
http://public.kitware.com/OpenSourceSoftwarePractice/index.php/Main_Page
at RPI (http://www.rpi.edu) and will appreciate to have a visiting speaker
from the GNOME project.

Should we simply ask our name/course  to the page:

      http://live.gnome.org/GnomeEvents/Speakers   (?)

----

Here are several typical needs that an "Open Source Course"
have from "Open Source Projects":

a) Case studies:  for example, we cover a couple of sessions
     on "Governance and community management". We talk
     about the projects that we manage (www.itk.org, www.vtk.org,
     www.paraview.org), but it is very useful to have other cases.
     We have used tele-participation in the past (if that helps)
     via Skype.

b) Class projects:     students must work on a FOSS as part of
     their grade. They tend to have difficulties identifying a
    community that they can join, and managing to find something
    interesting that can be executed in about 12 weeks (with about
    2~4 hours of work a week).

    Do you have a list of "low hanging fruit" in your bug tracker and
    or feature request list, that students could work on as part of
    their class project.

c) Talks to the larger community: (not just the class). This works
    better with a FOSS project representative visiting the school
    for on day. It will be great is someone from GNOME was
    available in the period from now to Dec 10.

We will be happy to provide more details if you are interested.

     Thanks

           Luis