[TOS] TOS in the SWEBOK and with various scholarly societies?

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 05:16:11 UTC 2009

While reading through some "CS Curriculum Standards!" papers from Harish
and Sankarshan tonight
(http://www.scribd.com/doc/19330704/Computing-Curricula-2005-report,
http://sites.computer.org/ccse/,
http://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations,
www.asysti.org/Data/Sites/1/iSSEcImages/CSEET_Paper_final.pdf) I found
out that the SWEBOK's going to get a 2010 refresh.

http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/swebok -->
http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/swebok/volunteering --> "Become a
Reviewer: This October, the 2010 SWEBOK will be open for public review.
Sign up now to be on the e-mail list for notification."

They're breaking it into chapters, you have to pick a chapter to review,
and I signed up for "process," leaving this note:

"What I'm most interested in is how open source fits into the 2010
SWEBOK. An idea: what if we built a repository of examples of each item
in the SWEBOK so that readers can see examples of each point in action,
and the tie to software engineering practice is clear?"

Now, I realize that SWEBOK is also controversial. Cem Kaner has a
critique here: http://www.satisfice.com/kaner/?p=7 and the ACM pulled
out (the SWEBOK is an IEEE thing) because the ACM didn't think there
should be a software engineering certification (yet), but IEEE went
ahead and did it anyway
(http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/certification). ACM's rationale:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/notkin/bok_assessment.pdf And SWEBOK
isn't meant as a "here's what you should learn in undergrad" list; it
excludes non-computing things that are important for software engineers
to learn (say, documentation) and includes things beyond the scope of an
undergraduate program (for instance, management). This is my
understanding, at least; please holler if I've gotten something wrong.

So perhaps making that offer / building that repository of examples for
http://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations and/or other
recommendations from other places, or as a neutral upstream for these
kinds of projects, would be more appropriate. In general, I am thinking
of this as one way to engage TOS with scholarly societies. For instance,
what would it take for the ACM to sponsor a curriculum recommendation
with TOS on open source development?
http://www.acm.org/education/education/curric_vols/curr_proposals knows
the answer!)

Question: So as to not create More Work To Do, is there anything we are
Doing Anyway that could fit nicely into this with very, very little
extra effort? Is this a potential point of leverage?

--Mel