[TOS] TOS in the SWEBOK and with various scholarly societies?

Gregory Hislop hislopg at drexel.edu
Thu Sep 3 15:38:48 UTC 2009

Hi Mel,

A bunch of comments:

a) if you want to provide examples that will be useful to instructors, you might want to organize them around the SE 2004 curriculum recommendation rather than SWEBOK.  People working on BSSE programs will look at both sources, but SE 2004 is more easily mapped to a degree.  SE 2004 is available on the ACM curriculum recommendations page http://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations.

b) You could also consider organizing around a graduate level SE curriculum recommendation that is currently under construction.  See http://asysti.org/issechome.aspx  There is a discussion underway for this to become a sponsored curriculum recommendation by the ACM and IEEE/CS (along with INCOSE). (All things considered I'd vote for using the undergrad model though.)

c) The notion of creating a TOS curriculum recommendation and having ACM adopt it may not be the way to go.  Under the current policy (which you cite at http://www.acm.org/education/education/curric_vols/curr_proposals ) the notion has been that a "curriculum recommendation" maps to a degree program.  More narrowly focused recommendations have not been put in any of these recognition categories.  (As it happens, I'm coordinating an effort to re-write this policy and coordinate it between ACM and IEEE-CS, but I'm not hearing any interest in changing this aspect of what gets recognized.)

d) I like the idea of a repository of examples and the notion of organizing the examples using a curriculum recommendation or SWEBOK.  There are several options that could be used to make such a repository available (and visible).  One option would be to use SWENET (www.swenet.org), a collection of SE teaching materials that I happen to curate.  I'd be happy to help people put examples there (it's already set up using the SE 2004 organization of topics).  It would also be possible to create a collection of examples under the TOS umbrella.  Either way (SWENET or TOS), I'd suggest making the collection visible through the Ensemble project (http://www.computingportal.org).  Ensemble is project under the NSF NSDL program (was "National Science Digital Library" now "National STEM Education Distributed Learning") that is constructing a portal to provide access to instructional materials for all branches of computing education. I'm involved in Ensemble too, so I'd be happy to facilitate making a collection part of Ensemble, which would increase visibility.

Cheers,

Greg Hislop