[TOS] First draft of textbook: introductory chapter (foreword?)

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Wed Sep 9 18:42:08 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 14:26, MJ Ray<mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Personally, I'd prefer you to call it simply "free software" or
> "cooperatively-developed software", but FOSS or FLOSS is OK.

A small comment: "cooperatively-developed software" may not be 100%
correct in all instances, but I like the fact that it describes the
behavior of the developer, rather than trying to capture
features/philosophies surrounding the code/artifact. It focuses the
discussion differently: instead of being a discussion of terminology
and philosophy, it is a discussion of behavior.

I guess it appeals because 1. the book has a practical feel (mostly
about behavior), and 2. the notion of collaborative software
development applies equally well to all software projects, not just
open vs. free vs. closed. From the professor's perspective, it helps
make it clear that the book is about supporting the teaching of
collaborative software development practices (in the context of *OSS
tools and projects).

I hadn't heard the term before, and it made me think. Hence, I'm
highlighting it.

Cheers,
Matt