[TOS] First draft of textbook: introductory chapter (foreword?)

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Thu Sep 10 00:55:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 19:26 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> My 100%-practitioner co-op has ruled that I can't work on TOS on
> company time because of TOS's divisive open-source-only approach in
> spite of the claims made on the wiki and on this mailing list back in
> March.

MJ, that sounds backwards to me.

The Teaching Open Source initiative, like most other Free Software/Open
Source projects, is a meritocracy (or a doitocracy), where your
influence scales with your contribution. So if your co-op enabled and
encouraged you to work on TOS stuff, you could certainly use the term
Free Software in your textbook chapter or sub-project or new wiki
material, and I don't think anyone would change it. On the other hand,
if your main contribution is a global string change on the wiki...

-Chris