[TOS] First draft of textbook: introductory chapter (foreword?)

Ross Gardler ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 20:55:39 UTC 2009

2009/9/8 Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>:

> If there's a preponderance of the *authors of the book* who agree with
> MJ's opinion, I'm willing to reconsider.  But until I hear that
> preponderance, the policy as defined in the foreword remains as is.

+1

Those who put the effort in get to define the direction. Those who
want to fork and do their own thing are very welcome to do so.

However, in order to encourage folk like MJ we shuld avoid
inflammatory commentary when ethical issues are raised. Whilst I am
not a free software guy (I'm of the camp that non-free is sub-optimal,
but something is better than nothing) I do respect the position of
people like MJ - if it were not for those people the debate would not
occur and we would have far more non-free software.

I extend the invitation to MJ to write a chapter on the ethics of free
software. If/when such a chapter is delivered we can decide how and
where it fits with the overall text.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk