[TOS] Open/Collaborative development as a focus for the textbook? (Re: First draft of textbook: introductory chapter (foreword?))

Ross Gardler ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 21:50:36 UTC 2009

2009/9/10 Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> However, there is no formal definition of what open development is. It
>> is not described by either the four freedoms or the open definition.
>>
>> We've been working with some people to define an "open and agile
>> development methodology". See draft 2 at
>> http://wiki.oss-watch.ac.uk/OpenAndAgileDevelopment - input is most
>> welcome. This will, over time, come with a range of supporting
>> documents (actually there are already many on our site).
>>
>>> I guess it appeals because 1. the book has a practical feel (mostly
>>> about behavior), and 2. the notion of collaborative software
>>> development applies equally well to all software projects, not just
>>> open vs. free vs. closed. From the professor's perspective, it helps
>>> make it clear that the book is about supporting the teaching of
>>> collaborative software development practices (in the context of *OSS
>>> tools and projects).
>>
>> +1
>
> I suppose we could come up with yet another term that attempts to describe
> the methodology while leaving out the philosophy -- but that was, iirc, the
> primary motive behind the creation of the term "open source" in the first
> place.

I agree. I'm not suggesting the use of a new term. My '+1' was for the
observation that the process of development is very important. I see
now that my subject was poorly chosen.

> To wrap this thread up:

Actually, this is a different thread (I changed the subject). I was
trying to draw attention to our early stage work in defining an open
development or collabortive development methodology and asking if this
would be appropriate/useful for the book as a whole.

I've responded to the FOSS/FLOSS/Free/Open Source issue in the
appropriate thread (for the record I hope my response indicates I am
100% in agreement with the points I snipped here).

Ross