[TOS] Open/Collaborative development as a focus for the textbook? (Re: First draft of textbook: introductory chapter (foreword?))

massonpj at delhi.edu massonpj at delhi.edu
Fri Sep 11 00:41:00 UTC 2009

Well if I could be so rude as to butt in mid-thread. I am very interested
in the parallels between the often undescribed or informal development
practices of open source projects and the successful projects themselves
that might align with or incorporate agile principles.

In my own research I am seeking to better understand if these principles
are indeed in practice even if not formally described (self-organization,
incremental development, feedback, etc.) within open source projects;
identify specific definitions of these principles (e.g. the difference
between transparency and openness, incremental vs. iteration); develop
criteria and metrics for assessing the use of agile methods; assess if
agile methods can be applied beyond software development, extending into
project management, understanding the motivations and barriers to adoption.

I would like to offer for your consideration a flow chart I developed
trying to determine the causality of agile adoption.
http://openmasters.wordpress.com/agile-causality/ Toward my own efforts I
see these as chapters in a book and would welcome any thoughts.

Thank you,
Patrick

Patrick Masson
Chief Information Officer
State University of New York at Delhi
331B Bush Hall, Delhi, New York 13753
Office/Cell/Personal: 970-4MASSON | Skype: massonpj | Fax: 607-746-4300
Email: massonpj at delhi.edu | AIM: uclasunydelhi

*** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
All email communications with New York State employees, including SUNY Delhi

Computer Information Systems, are a matter of public record and subject to publication,

and/or release under the Freedom of Information Act.