[TOS] Open/Collaborative development as a focus for the textbook? (Re: First draft of textbook: introductory chapter (foreword?))

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 16:39:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 03:51:27PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> Yes, it'll be possible to fork and re-use it, but it's not just a
> search-and-replace.  If the book doesn't mention any of the
> philosophies which help to explain why we won't hide problems, why we
> share bugfixes and why we prefer to release early release often, then
> that's a thread which has to be woven through the book to make a
> cookbook into a practical manual.  Some FOSS development practices
> started from belief, before hard numbers supported them.

I admit to being confused, in that I cannot see how we can write a
book that explains how to teach using a FLOSS methodology without
covering those exact points -- not just the act of using then, but
why.  It would be like a chemistry textbook explaining, "Don't put
these rare metals in contact with water, they will explode," then not
explaing *why* the reaction occurs.

It's for that reason I think Greg, who knows the subtleties of 'free'
and 'open' here, believes it is a simple search-and-replace operation.
Shouldn't we write in such a way that we embody all the
principles/philosophies even if we called it "Mars moon magic"?

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41