[TOS] hacking math

Joe Corneli holtzermann17 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 18:35:37 UTC 2009

Hi there:

I work with the nonprofit PlanetMath.org (http://planetmath.org)
on a CCBySA math encyclopedia and supporting open source software.
If you aren't familiar with this project, check it out!  We've been around
since 2000/2001 and development continues.

One of the things we're interested in is helping forge new
collaborations in the free/online math domain; pursuant to
this end, I've recently created a "first draft" stakeholder
analysis for online math, here:

http://wiki.planetmath.org/AsteroidMeta/Surveying_the_Math_Metacommons

If you're working in (or interested in) this field, please fact check!

My long-term goal is to "hack math to make it more like free
software"; the idea being that we can actually turn the everyday
language of math into "source code".

I'm developing a research prospectus for this large-scale project
here:

http://metameso.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Reengineering_Mathematics

I'm currently looking for new collaborators and/or places I can
plug in institutionally with this sort of work (e.g. a graduate
program or other R&D setting where even one component of
the relevant toolchain can be completed...).

Joe