[TOS] Conference Call - Monday Sept 14 - 15:00 UTC

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 22:55:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:03:39AM +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:

Pardon me for snipping a bit; it all makes sense to me, but I have a
CLA question:

> For my part I don't care who owns the copyright in the collective
> works, but I need to be able to show our lawyers that the work is
> adequately protected under British law, that is I need to show that I
> have only licenced our contributions to the book and thus I can
> continue to use our work in any way I desire.
>
> Having it licenced by to us is not sufficient for our legal team. We
> need to retain copyright in our own materials and we need that to be
> represented in the legal documentation. This means we need contributor
> licence agreements as does any such project.

When you talk about a CLA, do you mean something like this?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Licenses/CLA

or this?

http://freeipa.org/page/User:Quaid/Contribution_policy_(draft)

My concern in these cases is usually where you want the project to be
able to scale.  In such cases, I question your assertion, "... as does
any such project."

To an important degree, the CLA for Fedora has been a barrier to
entry.  Many projects, such as the Linux kernel, don't have a CLA but
instead us a formal or informal contribution policy.

Myself, I don't really care in this case; as long as the same freedoms
are protected (and I'm confident you'll do that), then we are fine.
But if I have to sign a CLA as an @redhat.com person (I might), I'll
need to get it vetted by our lawyers.  If I am agreeing to a clear
policy, I don't see a need to involve lawyers.  If I am acting as an
individual, I will probably vet the document myself (as I do for any
online policies, etc.)

Thanks for clarifying.  I'm not sure why a full CLA is needed for this
smaller project, not sure of the additional value, but really only
have the above ways this blocks some of us proceeding.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41