[TOS] Our next meeting

Ross Gardler ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 20:59:15 UTC 2009

2009/9/17 Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>:

> Things I think we should cover in our next meeting:
>
> * A hard-nosed status of projects.  Which ones are progressing?  Which
> ones are stagnant?  What can we do to move them forward?

I won't be at the next meeting. I'll therefore give you an update s
per my own involvement:

As reported previously the project registry [1] project is
progressing, but slower than expected. We have a new member of staff
starting on Oct 5th who will be leading the software development. We
have populated the alpha code with all projects funded by the JISC in
the UK, but there are many more and we need to get the code  beyond
alpha.

In terms of reporting back to TOS, I hope that my new colleague will
have the time to keep channels open and build interest in the outputs
of his work.

---

The mentoring project progresses reasonably well within The Apache
Software Foundation. Kathy Marsden has drawn up an outline for the
foundations engagement in a mentoring activity. Now that GSoC is
complete we are starting to turn our attention to it again. We will be
trying to drum up internal support at ApacheCon at the start of
November.

OSS Watch also has a new EC funded project starting in November which
relates to this activity. This is necessarily EU focussed, but I hope
the TOS community will be able to benefit from and contribute to our
work. I will be able to provide full details at the summit.

> * Are we getting together a textbook sprint at FSOSS?  Which authors can
> make it?  How much time can we spend on it?

I'm planning on being there, but there are some legal issues... (I've
said too much about that already).

Ross

[1] http://www.teachingopensource.org/index.php/OSS_Directory_Project