[TOS] Textbook authors: Copyright Assignment, please respond

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 11:17:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 03:44:52AM +0000, Frank Hecker wrote:

> If the
> material in the work were contributed under a broad enough CLA, it
> would not be necessary to go back to the original organization for
> permission to relicense.

FWIW, we've experienced this exact situation with the Fedora Project
CLA, but in (sort-of) reverse.  Because there are many thousands of
individuals who contributed to the project wiki, it is too onerous to
get individual permissions for relicensing from the OPL to the
CC-BY-SA.  Instead, we are using the broad grant under the project CLA
to do the relicensing of wiki content.

Thinking that the contributor base here is smaller, I figured a
similar need wouldn't arise.  However, I see the usefuless in Frank's
point about the CLA helping a signing organization to contribute.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41