[TOS] Textbook authors: Copyright Assignment, please respond

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 13:22:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Ross Gardler wrote:

> 2009/9/17 Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>:
>
>> * This also requires a single copyright holder -- i.e. the party with whom
>> the CLA is binding.  Which would require all authors to sign away their
>> copyright.
>
> This is incorrect.
>
> There is no need for authors to sign away their copyright, they need
> only grant a sufficient rights to release the copyright under the
> agreed licence. More information on how CLAs work is at
> http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/cla.xml
>
> As a community we already discussed and agreed that individual authors
> will retain their copyright, so the CLA will *not* require copyright
> assignment, only licence grants.

And, as Ross points out elsewhere, we are releasing as CC-BY, not
CC-BY-SA, so my apologies for that.

So clearly I'm confused.  If you're not talking about copyright
assignment, then are you simply talking about what entity holds the CLA?
Do we just need a single entity to track CLA requests?

--g

--
Computer Science professors should be teaching open source.
Help make it happen.   Visit http://teachingopensource.org.