[TOS] Textbook authors: Copyright Assignment, please respond

Frank Hecker hecker at mozillafoundation.org
Fri Sep 18 14:06:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> So clearly I'm confused.  If you're not talking about copyright
> assignment, then are you simply talking about what entity holds the CLA?
> Do we just need a single entity to track CLA requests?

I can't speak for Ross, but here is my opinion: If there are
organizations that want to enter into a formal CLA by which they grant
rights for their content to be used in the textbook, then IMO it makes
sense to have one and only one organization be the other party to such
CLAs. Then that organization could be the single licensor of all
textbook materials contributed under CLAs, using the agreed-upon
license (CC-BY or whatever).

There may also be other organizations (or individuals) that do not
want to use a CLA when contributing materials. They can simply license
their material directly to the public under the agreed-upon license.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker