[TOS] Our next meeting

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Sep 20 02:27:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 07:39:32PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
> Any chance you can record some to the GSoC mentor talks?

My recollection of the past is that Google is careful about
photography/videography.  The Mentor Summit is right in a main
building and conference space.  If Google itself did the video, they
could be careful to not capture $secret_stuff.  However, it's an
unknown number of sessions, and how do you know which are the best
ones to do?

Another oddity is that in a room like that, people forget there is
video (or, worse, notice), and that changes how they interacts with
each other.  In some of the sessions, people want to speak freely to
other mentors about their students, in a way that maybe we don't want
on public video. ;-D

>  I am
> expecting to spend about 50% of my time over the next six months
> working on how to effectively engage students in open source projects.

Good news.

> And more importantly it involves establishing trust between:
> Class Instructor ->  Open Source Project = Instructor must trust that
> there student will have a valuable experence
> Open Source Project -> class Intructor = Project must trust that the
> time invested in the class will be worth it.
> Mentor -> Student =  Mentor must trust that their time and effort
> invested in the student will be worth it.
> Student -> Mentor = Student must trust the mentor is useful and has
> reasonable expectations.
>
> I am not sure how to solve this, but I think is worth trying:)

That is interesting.  There are obviously some situations that have
worked out well, but the ones actually involving that three-way are
fewer.  GSoC brought a big student <=> project connection.  I think
both parties are looking for instructor involvement to help solve some
common sticky spots.  Also, a full instructional term length is longer
than a summer session, but isn't as fully engaged.  GSoC expects 40
hours per week, while a regular class shouldn't demand that much,
right?

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41