[TOS] Our next meeting

Leslie Hawthorn mebelh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 03:18:39 UTC 2009

2009/9/19 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 07:39:32PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
> > Any chance you can record some to the GSoC mentor talks?
>
> My recollection of the past is that Google is careful about
> photography/videography.  The Mentor Summit is right in a main
> building and conference space.  If Google itself did the video, they
> could be careful to not capture $secret_stuff.  However, it's an
> unknown number of sessions, and how do you know which are the best
> ones to do?

I know we can't record sessions but we are hoping to have a video booth for
folks to record their experiences. My thought is for folks to capture which
sessions they thought were most useful and then ask the presenters to review
session notes, then give a five minute speech on the salient points. Either
way, someone needs to bring a video camera in case we can't get funding for
taping the interviews, etc.

> Another oddity is that in a room like that, people forget there is
> video (or, worse, notice), and that changes how they interacts with
> each other.  In some of the sessions, people want to speak freely to
> other mentors about their students, in a way that maybe we don't want
> on public video. ;-D

Agreed. People tend to self-censor when being recorded. I think the above
plan is a good compromise.

Cheers,
LH

--