[TOS] Textbook authors: Copyright Assignment, please respond

Ross Gardler ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 22 13:36:14 UTC 2009

2009/9/22 MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop>:
> Ross Gardler <ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I still think that, on balance, Mozilla is a better place - mostly
>> because it means each contributor can repackage the book as having the
>> academic QA of their own organisation without the Oxford brand
>> interfering with the academic objectives. I just thought I'd raise
>> this in case people have strong feelings one way or the other.
>
> what does the "Oxford brand
> interfering with the academic objectives" mean?  How does that happen?

I should have said "individual" or "organisation" academic objectives.
That is, person A at institution B may not want Oxford to be a force
in their work. Since this text is aimed at academics and teaching
staff I believe this is very important. Person A and institution B
must be seen as the driving force in their local space, the Oxford
brand, for some people, may get in the way of that since we are an
educational institution and therefore competing. Mozilla is a FOSS
organisation and thus has less impact on this.

However, all this may be moot since the conference call recording
makes it clear that there will be no central management of the IP and
individual authors will maintain their own chapters. I'll post on this
ASAP, I'm just pushing our legal team one last time to get a sensible
position from our side.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk