[TOS] Textbook authors: Copyright Assignment, please respond

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Sep 22 18:10:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 02:28:32PM +0000, Frank Hecker wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
> > My recollection is that that is the interim position (i.e., let's not
> > stall waiting for CLAs) but the end goal is to have Mozilla manage the
> > CLAs (Frank Hecker offered is seeing this through).
>
> Just to clarify this: If there are organizations or individuals who
> would prefer to contribute using a CLA, then I will see if Mozilla can
> act as the second party to such CLAs. Otherwise folks can just license
> their stuff directly.

Sorry I missed the call yesterday, I was teaching the kids. :)  I'll
try to put an ear to it right now, but in the meantime, a question ...

Can you clarify for me how this is supposed to work with blending
content between CLA-yes and CLA-no?

For example, Mr. Able wants his IP managed under a CLA, and Ms. Baker
prefers to just license it directly under the CC-BY-SA.  They both are
going to work together on a chapter, pulling in content from OSS
Watch, which is also managed under the CLA.  This content is blended
in to a single chapter.  How do you sort out later if there is a
question that would be resolved with the CLA, but Ms. Baker's IP is
all over the place under a single license?

Just wondering ... :)

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41