[TOS] FS102: Computing and Activism

David Humphrey David.Humphrey at senecac.on.ca
Wed Sep 30 14:59:50 UTC 2009

Hey Matt,

This is a neat idea.  Reading your description, one thing that occurs to
me is that you could also devote some energy to "Open Data."  A lot of
the most interesting examples of "Computing and Activism" I'm seeing
lately are in the open data, open government, etc. space vs. open
source.  A lot of the work with regard to activism and software is
historical, whereas the work to free data is just starting to catch fire.

I've CC'ed two people I know who are doing a ton of work in this area,
Greg Wilson at U of T (also a member other the list, see
http://pyre.third-bit.com/blog/archives/category/gov20), and David Eaves
(see http://eaves.ca/).

I think the work around open data has the potential to do as much and
more than open source.  One of the reasons for this is that it allows a
more diverse set of players to get involved in the game (e.g., you don't
have to be a programmer).

Also, since you're doing this work in the context of a writing course,
allow me to plug my own recent work trying to define open data:

http://vocamus.net/dave/?p=661

and

http://vocamus.net/dave/?page_id=741

Let us know how it goes, Matt.