[TOS] POSSE APAC

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 21:31:10 UTC 2009

A quick heads-up:

We're running a POSSE (http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE) in
Singapore, at Nanyang Polytechnic from November 9-13. We expect
something on the order of 30 professors (though they call them
'lecturers' in Singapore). This is a *very* short timescale and planning
is uber-frantic, so I'm trying to throw open the "Let Us Be Maximally
Transparent!!!" doors as wide as possible right now.

See http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_APAC for details, and
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_APAC_Planning for
transparency-fu. Everyone's welcome to join in - it's going to be tough
to keep up, but if you want to follow or participate in planning and and
things are moving too fast, shout and I will do my best to help. Since
I'm guessing most people here won't actually want the firehose,
particularly since our weekly meetings are on Mondays at 5am EST due to
timezones (yeah, I'm not getting much sleep right now), here are the
bits you probably /will/ care about:

(0) Introduce your project to POSSE APAC attendees: We're going to be
basing exercises on Fedora since that's what we know (this POSSE is
sponsored by Red Hat's Singapore office) and what we can quickly teach
others. We also want to make sure that POSSE attendees get a chance to
be exposed to other open source projects so they can choose to join the
community that best fits them - so we'd like to have a sort of "project
fair" at the end of the week, where any project can join us in person,
on IRC, via teleconference, on the mailing list, however works best for
you - and talk with interested lecturers about getting involved. If
you're interested in this, please mail the POSSE APAC planning list,
http://teachingopensource.org/mailman/listinfo/posse-apac, with what
you'd like to do. This would be on 11/13, which is a Friday.

(1) Ditto the above if you have classes or examples of student work for
projects that you'd like to share with POSSE APAC attendees - I reckon
that Friday will be a giant show-and-tell. Again, holler on the
http://teachingopensource.org/mailman/listinfo/posse-apac if you (or
your students!) are interested. (Both this and #0 aren't specific to
professors and/or non-professors, btw - they're really the same thing;
if you're not a professor and have done cool things with a class, that
counts! if you're a professor and want to hop in as the recruitment
representative for $project, do it!)

(2) Run a POSSE with your project as the curriculum foundation: I'll
make another call for this after POSSE APAC, but we think it'd be great
to port the POSSE CS curriculum to projects other than Fedora (partially
complete, 100% after POSSE APAC) and Mozilla (partially complete). Just
something to toss out there for starting to think about, and a heads-up
that this particular call-to-action will probably come along at some
point, likely in ~2 months.

--Mel

PS: There are a lot of convos on this mailing list that I'm overdue for
follow-up on - I'm hoping to sit down and do that on Friday or at some
point not long after, since I've been throwing wayyy too much stuff out
and then not responding to the thoughtful replies they've gathered.