[TOS] Textbook, upstream, ownership of marks

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 02:47:49 UTC 2010

Questions from someone who's still learning about the process of
trademarks and such...

> 1. Individual chapters are owned by their respective authors.

What constitutes authorship? Who decides whether someone's contributions
were sufficient enough to warrant inclusion of an author? (And for that
matter, can anyone just start a random chapter?)

> 2. The collective textbook -- most importantly, the title and its
> trademark, and the right to decide what gets published under that mark --
> are owned by an entity that can protect and sustain that brand.  I propose
> that this will be Red Hat, since Red Hat paid for the time of the majority
> of the authors to write the first version of the textbook.

Under what terms will those rights be offered to others / how will they
request it?

--Mel