[TOS] Textbook, upstream, ownership of marks

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 19:05:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 07/04/2010 22:33, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>> 1. Individual chapters are owned by their respective authors.
>
> Shouldn't that be editors? Even if there is a single author now this
> will, hopefully, change in the future as refinements come from other
> contributors.
>
> How are you crediting other contributions?

Good question, and one that we've kind of dropped.  For example: Matt
Jadud did a *ton* of eleventh hour review, and his name appears nowhere.
Not sure how to remedy this other than an Acknowledgements page...

>> Does anyone -- most specifically, authors -- disagree with this position?
>
> I'm not an author - so have no (significant) right to object. However,
> it might be useful to say I don't object ;-)
>
> I assume RedHat don't want to be stuck with the full maintenance burden
> of the textbook and therefore I do have a concern about managing the IP
> of future contributions correctly. I've expressed this concern a number
> of times before and don't feel it is helpful to do so again. Hopefully
> the lawyers will be able to address these issues, or tell you there is
> no concern (which is even  better than jumping through legal hoops).

I think we're actually ok with the maintenance burden for now, but maybe
not forever, and this will be a topic for the lawyers.

> Well done on getting this far.

:)

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.